The whole reason I created this blog is because I have this “excitable” side to my personality and somewhere along the way I stopped posting and maybe even lost a little bit of my passion for living life with excitement. So as a reminder to myself and to others I figured it’s high time for me to get back on track with posting more often.
To say I’ve been on an adventure while I haven’t been posting is absolutely an understatement. Since I last posted on here a lot of things have happened:
And those are just the things I remembered right off the top of my head! Amidst all this adventure, I certainly have found myself in some of the lowest of lows. Being away from home at Christmas, homesickness, the job search stress, crushed hopes and facing tough decisions. My personality is typically upbeat, positive, happy and, of course, excitable so when I find myself going through the storms of life, I definitely am constantly trying to find that rainbow as soon as possible. So here’s 5 things I do to try and revive my life and keep that excitement strong (something I’ve really been working hard at, lately).
1. Be Thankful! – This should be a no-brainer but sometimes it’s not easy to mentally give yourself a break from a bad situation and take a look at what you have to be thankful for. There is ALWAYS something to be thankful for. A job, a family, friends, a roof over your head, meals on the table are the easy things to name but think about the things you take for granted like being able to breathe and be alive or even the little things you appreciate in life like a beautiful day and the things that make you smile.
2. Find Your Own Happiness! – Sometimes we rely far too much on others to make us happy. When I think about the times I’ve most appreciated living and felt the most happy, it’s when I’ve been the one completely in control of my own happiness. It’s been the times that I’ve stopped trying to do everything for everyone else and briefly just made time for myself to do whatever it was that I wanted. For me, what that is varies depending on my mood, sometimes it’s just curling up with a good book, crocheting a project for myself (rather than for someone else), spend time pampering myself or going on a solo shopping trip!
3. Learn Something New! – Occasionally we get stuck in a life rut dealing with the daily monotony and the same old routines. One of my favorite ways to blast through those pesky life ruts is to learn something new. Over the last 9 months I’ve started dabbling more into the baking world and it’s been so much fun baking my own bread and getting to try new baking recipes out. It’s something I never really had time or the desire to try before but it’s a lot of fun and a pretty healthy alternative to all the processed choices in the stores! Over the years, I’ve learned a lot of different things and picked up some new talents and hobbies and I usually end up surprising myself. Not to mention it’s a great confidence builder to prove to yourself that you ARE capable of doing new and different things!
4. Go On An Adventure! – An “adventure” doesn’t have to be anything extreme or expensive. Maybe challenge yourself out of your comfort zone, try a new place to eat, or visit a new town and explore. Find a new trail to hike or park to walk around. That’s been one of my favorite parts about moving to a new state and especially one with so many places to explore. It makes me wish I had been a little more adventurous back in Virginia, too, because it’s a great way to find more reasons to love where you live which also leads to living with more gratitude! You’ll be surprised how much fun you have, too!
5. Get Spiritual! – Last but certainly not least, one of the things that has always been important to me when I’m struggling in some way is to refocus on my spiritual life. There’s been times in my life when my spiritual life has been on FIRE and those have always been the seasons of my life where God has encouraged me to grow in other ways in life too. It’s made me more courageous and more accepting of whatever path I find myself on. Just taking an hour in the morning and dedicating that time to doing Bible devotions and in prayer, always starts my day off right and I tend to have better days as a result, too.
Beyond these 5 things, there are so many other ways to revive your life and I just wrote about the first 5 that came to my mind. Feel free to comment with some of your favorite ways to rejuvenate when things get tough or boring. I’d love to hear more ideas!